Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
3,129 Views 5 Replies Last post: Feb 2, 2016 6:36 PM by danwiz RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Jun 9, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2016 12:45 PM

CD Artwork: Can't get my jpegs under 6MB

Having problems creating jpegs for a CD project's artwork. In a nutshell: I can't seem to output jpegs that match the specs CreateSpace demands.

I'm not a novice. I've done dozens of print projects, some with CreateSpace, some with their competitors. But I can't seem to sort this issue out.

Using the CD booklet as an example: CS specs say they need the booklet jpegs to be 300 dpi, 1490 px x 2925 px. But the jpeg those specs produce exceeds CS's limits (the jpeg is 12.5 MB, and CS won't take anything over 6 MB). I can get the file down to 6 MB easily, but only by changing the dpi or pixel dimensions -- which of course I don't want to do.

I build the artwork in InDesign. I'm looking for a way -- in InDesign or in Photoshop -- to reduce the jpeg's file size without affecting the dpi or pixel dimensions. I am not smart enough to know if that's even possible, let alone how to do it.
Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.
Level 5 12,994 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Feb 2, 2016 12:49 PM in response to: RainbowRay
Re: CD Artwork: Can't get my jpegs under 6MB

Apply JPEG compression. In Photoshop, a quality setting (under Image Options) of 12 is no compression. Try a setting of 10. You probably won't see any visible quality difference, yet it will reduce the file size considerably. If it doesn't reduce it by enough, try a lower number.

Level 5 12,994 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Feb 2, 2016 5:51 PM in response to: RainbowRay

RainbowRay wrote:

Document size is 2925 px x 1490 px -- per CS. I export, producing a jpeg that's 5.42 MB. Seems like that should be the answer. But when I upload that jpeg to CS, I get an error message that "The uploaded image may not exceed 2925 pixels in width nor exceed 1490 pixels in height."

The only way I know to check pixels is to open the jpeg in Photoshop, then open Image Size. When I do that, I can see that the pixels look WAY off (12188 x 6209; pixel dimensions 216.5M).

It looks like your pixel dimensions are correct for 300 ppi, yet you're setting the resolution at 72 ppi somewhere within the InDesign process. I say that because:

1490 pixels / 72 ppi = 20.69444 inches

and

20.69444 inches x 300 ppi = 6209 pixels (with rounding to the next whole pixel).

So check your resolution settings. You should not need to resize/resample in Photoshop, because you can also set JPEG compression/quality during the InDesign export to reduce file size if needed.

Level 5 3,872 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
5. Feb 2, 2016 6:36 PM in response to: RainbowRay

For creating JPEG files I would rather cut InDesign out of the workflow and use only Photoshop.  I don't know much about InDesign, but software created for as many purposes as InDesign is created for must have some shortcomings when it comes to some of those purposes.  I would create my artwork in Photoshop, creating as many layers as I needed and save that file (often) as a PSD file,  Then, when totally finished I'd flatten it and save as JPEG.

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...