Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
508,264 Views 800 Replies Last post: May 19, 2014 11:08 PM by nati744 RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 54 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Oct 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
525. Oct 15, 2011 9:29 AM in response to: DDFR
Re: PDF conversion and submission problems?

P.S. I just tried saving the doc file from Word 2011 and loading it into Acrobat. It went through preflight just fine. So all it takes is saving the file in doc instead of docx, then saving that to pdf.

Of course, CS may still bounce it for some other problem--I'll have to wait and see.

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
526. Oct 15, 2011 9:46 AM in response to: DDFR

Let us know.  Good luck.

Walton

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
527. Oct 29, 2011 1:03 PM in response to: SD26

I keep getting the same message. The DPI of my images is too low-I use Microsoft Word and am using my original jpeg images--why doesn't it stay at 300 when I save it as an Adobe PDF? Also what the heck is transparency and how do I get rid of it?

thanks for the help!

aloha,

connied

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
528. Oct 29, 2011 1:49 PM in response to: connied

The answer to your question is buried somewhere in the community, but if I remember correctly Word automatically downsizes images to 180dpi (?) or 250dpi (?) and there is some hidden check box that will allow you to disable this feature. Walton has the answer and it may be located in his Build Your Book PDF you can download for free from his signature block.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
529. Oct 29, 2011 4:30 PM in response to: Seal

In some versions, Word will downsize (Word nicely calls it "compression," which it is not) images.  Word 2007 and Word 2010 for certain.  Word 2003 did not.

Word 2007 has a "compress" (downsize) images feature that can be disabled, and/or images can be set to not "compress" when they are inserted. (A previous post from Magic-Man) Here is image by image:

o    Click on the image to select it

o    Click on <FORMAT> in the top menu bar

o    Click on <Compress Pictures> on the far left

o    A menu box will pop up.

o    Make sure "Apply to selected pictures only" is UNCHECKED

o    Click on <Options...>

o    UNCHECK "Automatically perform basic compression on save"

o    Click  <OK>

o    Click <OK> again

And here is a global method (from GTaylor):

o    Tools> Compress Pictures > Options

o    Untick "Automatically Perform Basic Compression

In Word 2010:

o    File > Options > Advanced >Image Size and Qality

o    Tick "Do not compress images in file

However, Word to PDF in word is problematic at best.  I cannot test Word 2010 because it has a global hook to my Acrobat Pro.  Word 2010 Starter downsized images (from my tests to 200dpi) when using Save as PDF > PDF/A.  The PDF conversion plug-in for Word 2003 downsized to 95dpi.

If you do not have Acrobat Pro or Standard ($$$), then some of the free conversion programs do okay: http://www.primopdf.com, http://www.dopdf.com, http://www.pdf995.com/, etc.

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
530. Oct 29, 2011 5:54 PM in response to: walton

thanks--I've found  this is in Word.  Hope this solves my problem

aloha,

Connied

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
531. Oct 29, 2011 5:55 PM in response to: Seal

Thanks Seal!!

aloha,

Connied

Level 0 2 posts since
Jan 17, 2009
532. Nov 8, 2011 6:45 AM in response to: connied

Hi everyone! I think Im in the right thread. Anyway, Im having issues too. I got my ms. in the template. It looks great there. I convert to PDF and things like the title are thrown off. I keep trying to make changes, which look really odd in word, just hoping they will come out right in the pdf. They dont. Is there an easier way??? Help!

Sep 5, 2009
533. Nov 8, 2011 7:07 AM in response to: RHUSHgrrrl

Look at a bad page in the PDF, now print the same page in the Word file.  Do they look the same or different--is the Word file right and the PDF wrong? or are they both actually off?

Walton

Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2011
534. Nov 8, 2011 3:26 PM in response to: SD26

I'm a first timer and am having formatting problems. My book is mostly artwork, with some text. Cartoons, one on each page with a caption. I downloaded and used the template from create space, but when I try to conver to a pdf it doesn't convert all of the pages. It usualy converts the first 8 pages which are text with titles, copyrights, endorsements etc. The artwork doesn't convert. I'm sure it has to be me....what am I doing wrong.

Thanks so much,

Sep 5, 2009
535. Nov 8, 2011 3:40 PM in response to: Starsister7

Although you didn't way what programs you working in, let me suggest that if you have free conversion program, http://www.dopdf.com,http://www.primopdf.com, http://www.pdf995.com/, http://www.cutepdf.com/, even http://www.openoffice.org / http://www.libreoffice.org, most work, and work well, but some don't. Which ones don't relates, I think, to software conflicts. If you're using one of these, try a different conversion program.

What format is your art work in?  That could be a problem (I'm just speculating, but I have to believe that some native file formats might not work well for conversions.) I would avoid PNG, although I like them, they can be problematic in PDFs;  JPG's and TIFFs are the most often used formats, and PDF generally save in one or the other.

Walton

Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2011
536. Nov 8, 2011 4:27 PM in response to: walton

Thanks for such a quick reply. I used photohop cs4 and then converted the artwork to jpg and then inserted those into the template. I work on an IMac. I then went to print to save the pdf. I have an option for a pdf or pdf-x. I tried both. I read on create space that the pdf-x is better for quality. Should I go ahead and download the conversion program that you suggested?

Thanks again.

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
537. Nov 8, 2011 4:46 PM in response to: Starsister7

Libre Office is more reliable on the Mac than Open Office, in my experience. OO would crash constantly. If you have Pages, I recommend that over LO, OO and MS Word any day.

Most of the free PDF conversion software mentioned are PC only, but you don't need them anyway. Libre Office can convert to PDF without third party software, or use the Mac's built-in PDF printer.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 1, 2011
538. Nov 9, 2011 4:43 AM in response to: SD26

I am presently interior formatting my book in Word 2007 - originally written in a much earlier version. My formatting appears to work nicely when published to .pdf and read in Adobe reader. However, I downloaded a copy of Adobe digital to check the formatting and it publishes with font and text sizes all over the show! I have purged the entire file; switched off all word auto-format and re-formatted manually in a new file - no matter how many times I do this, Adobe digital STILL reads a complete mess!

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can only imagine my original document is somehow corrupt, even though I've copy pasted it into notepad in order to purge all the original formatting.

Thank you.

Lobo66

Sep 5, 2009
539. Nov 9, 2011 7:28 AM in response to: Lobo66

Why are you checking with Adobe Digital? 

I'm sure someone else has experience with it, I used the Adobe Digital Reader a couple of times when it first came out. I would assume, that if you're PDF looks fine and looks like your original Word file, and if you're going to upload it to CS, then it should print just as you see it in Acrobat Reader.  Just an assumption, I could be very wrong.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...