Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
499,071 Views 813 Replies Last post: May 19, 2014 11:08 PM by nati744 RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 55 Previous Next
Level 5 15,637 posts since
May 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
525. Oct 6, 2011 4:15 PM in response to: Bieser
Re: PDF conversion and submission problems?

I don't know if this will be helpful, but here's an online view of one of the magazines I've published with CS: http://issuu.com/lipmag/docs/lip16

The mag is around 70 pages, and has a inner margin requirement of 0.375". I can tell you right now that there are non-bleed elements that go into the inner margin beyond that 0.375", but do not broach the 0.25" area from the inner margin. Text, however, does remain outside of the 0.375" margin.

So, what I'm saying here (and based on looking at a few frames of your online comic) is that you might be able to get away with it.

Have you actually submitted the book as is and gotten a file rejection, or are you just going off the website info?

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 7 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
526. Oct 7, 2011 9:28 AM in response to: lipmag

I submitted the interior file twice, it was rejected twice, I brought the matter up with Support, they reviewed the file and said sorry, anything inside that .75-inch margin that's not clearly a full bleed is a "production point of failure" and will not be accepted. Period. I didn't bring up the fact that my previous graphic novel had similar "production point of failure" but was accepted anyway, for fear that they'd turn around and boot it from the system.

So, ESCAPE FROM TERRA Volume 2 will not be printed via CreateSpace. End of story.

I'm not completely giving up on CreateSpace, though. I have another project in the works that was designed a bit differently and I think I can make it work within CS's non-industry-standard requirements.

Level 5 19,518 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
527. Oct 7, 2011 10:05 AM in response to: Bieser

I hope this isn't gratutitous, but I would ask them, if the white background were gray, would it be approved?  (I'm assuming that the image runs to the spine edge of the page . . . so that it meets the criteria for an inside bleed.)

Walton

Also, you could ask to speak to someone in Technical Support.

Message was edited by: walton

Level 5 13,021 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
528. Oct 7, 2011 10:07 AM in response to: Bieser

You clearly stated "end of story" for you, but for anyone else with a similar issue . . . one of the great things about a print-ready PDF is that the page objects are scalable, meaning that the artwork described can (with a tool like Acrobat Pro) be easily/automatically resized ("shrunk" without distortion or skewing) to precisely what is needed to allow the minimum margins, then redistilled to fit the original page/trim size.

Granted, it's better to create the page according to the design specs to start with, but in many cases, we have projects/files that existed before CS did, and this scaling option usually beats redoing the layout or paying more for another print service.

Level 0 5 posts since
Oct 20, 2010
529. Oct 13, 2011 1:26 PM in response to: SD26

My manuscript, with lots of graphics, was created in Word (Mac 2011). I can do a save to pdf or print to pdf, producing an pdf of about 250 MB. If I submit that it gets rejected because transparencies have not been flattened, so I load it into Acrobat and try to use preflight to flatten transparencies. Acrobat always crashes when I do that.

I thought Acrobat might be unable to handle the size of the file. So I did print to pdf from Word to create two pdf's, one of the first half of the manuscript, one of the second. Preflight worked for each of those separately to flatten transparencies. I also checked that all fonts were embedded. But when I tried to use Acrobat to combine the two pdf's into one, it froze.

PDFpen would combine them fine, but the combined file would not go through preflight and was rejected by CreateSpace:

"We are unable to process the interior file.  It is possible that the file is corrupt, or that it is a very complex file with active transparencies. Please flatten all transparencies and embed all fonts in the native file prior to submitting your files for publishing."

I've tried a variety of other things. Someone from CreateSpace suggested that instead of using print to pdf I use print to adobe pdf. I tried that--the process took most of two hours, and crashed at the end.

Suggestions?

Sep 5, 2009
530. Oct 13, 2011 1:37 PM in response to: DDFR

I have been helping someone with a similar problem. Her file was 350MB.  When I ran a preflight on the whole document it took over an hour (with 8GB of RAM, and tons of free space on my hard drive).

I broke the book into six sections. I could not fix the files to meet PDF/X standards, but I could get it to meet PDF/A (which should have resolved the embedding and transparency problems, and when I analyzed the files it had).

I recombined the files. When the file was resubmitted, it got the same message as you got: it was either corrupt, too complex, contains transparency, or unembedded fonts (this you did not get).

I believe that a large part of the problem is Word 2010 or later.

But as of now, we have not solved the problem. I also believe that the problem at the CS end is that if their preflight takes too long (again, it was over an hour with me, and until it was completed, Acrobat appeared to be frozen), CS says "too complex . . . . "  And, it may be too complex for proper printing, I don't know.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.   Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification

Level 0 5 posts since
Oct 20, 2010
531. Oct 15, 2011 9:23 AM in response to: walton

I may have solved the problem, although I won't know for sure until I see if the interior file I just submitted is accepted.

My file is a docx file of about 65 MB in MSWord 2011 (Mac). If I save to pdf, the resulting pdf is about 250 MB, and when I try to use preflight on it Acrobat crashes.

It occurred to me, as to you, that the problem might be the current version of Word. So I saved in the older Word format, with the intention of loading it into Word 2004 and saving to PDF from there. I then loaded it and saved it to pdf. This time the pdf file was under 50 MB! It went through preflight without any trouble, and I have now submitted it.

I'm not certain, but I think I actually loaded the old format file into Word 2011 and not, as I had intended, into 2004. At least, playing around later, when I loaded it into 2004, there was a bunch of additional processing, apparently involving the graphics, that I hadn't seen before. So I tried loading the 2004 format file into 2011, saved it as pdf, and again got under 50 MB. I haven't checked whether it will run through Acrobat, but I suspect it will.

If I am correct, the problem is due to using Word 2011 with the file in the docx format. It can be solved either by using Word 2004 or by using Word 2011 but the doc format.

Level 0 5 posts since
Oct 20, 2010
532. Oct 15, 2011 9:29 AM in response to: DDFR

P.S. I just tried saving the doc file from Word 2011 and loading it into Acrobat. It went through preflight just fine. So all it takes is saving the file in doc instead of docx, then saving that to pdf.

Of course, CS may still bounce it for some other problem--I'll have to wait and see.

Sep 5, 2009
533. Oct 15, 2011 9:46 AM in response to: DDFR

Let us know.  Good luck.

Walton

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
534. Oct 29, 2011 1:03 PM in response to: SD26

I keep getting the same message. The DPI of my images is too low-I use Microsoft Word and am using my original jpeg images--why doesn't it stay at 300 when I save it as an Adobe PDF? Also what the heck is transparency and how do I get rid of it?

thanks for the help!

aloha,

connied

Level 5 15,793 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
535. Oct 29, 2011 1:49 PM in response to: connied

The answer to your question is buried somewhere in the community, but if I remember correctly Word automatically downsizes images to 180dpi (?) or 250dpi (?) and there is some hidden check box that will allow you to disable this feature. Walton has the answer and it may be located in his Build Your Book PDF you can download for free from his signature block.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
536. Oct 29, 2011 4:30 PM in response to: Seal

In some versions, Word will downsize (Word nicely calls it "compression," which it is not) images.  Word 2007 and Word 2010 for certain.  Word 2003 did not.

Word 2007 has a "compress" (downsize) images feature that can be disabled, and/or images can be set to not "compress" when they are inserted. (A previous post from Magic-Man) Here is image by image:

o    Click on the image to select it

o    Click on <FORMAT> in the top menu bar

o    Click on <Compress Pictures> on the far left

o    A menu box will pop up.

o    Make sure "Apply to selected pictures only" is UNCHECKED

o    Click on <Options...>

o    UNCHECK "Automatically perform basic compression on save"

o    Click  <OK>

o    Click <OK> again

And here is a global method (from GTaylor):

o    Tools> Compress Pictures > Options

o    Untick "Automatically Perform Basic Compression

In Word 2010:

o    File > Options > Advanced >Image Size and Qality

o    Tick "Do not compress images in file

However, Word to PDF in word is problematic at best.  I cannot test Word 2010 because it has a global hook to my Acrobat Pro.  Word 2010 Starter downsized images (from my tests to 200dpi) when using Save as PDF > PDF/A.  The PDF conversion plug-in for Word 2003 downsized to 95dpi.

If you do not have Acrobat Pro or Standard ($$$), then some of the free conversion programs do okay: http://www.primopdf.com, http://www.dopdf.com, http://www.pdf995.com/, etc.

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
537. Oct 29, 2011 5:54 PM in response to: walton

thanks--I've found  this is in Word.  Hope this solves my problem

aloha,

Connied

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
538. Oct 29, 2011 5:55 PM in response to: Seal

Thanks Seal!!

aloha,

Connied

Level 0 2 posts since
Jan 17, 2009
539. Nov 8, 2011 6:45 AM in response to: connied

Hi everyone! I think Im in the right thread. Anyway, Im having issues too. I got my ms. in the template. It looks great there. I convert to PDF and things like the title are thrown off. I keep trying to make changes, which look really odd in word, just hoping they will come out right in the pdf. They dont. Is there an easier way??? Help!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...