Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

9,024 Views 6 Replies Last post: Oct 29, 2009 10:26 PM by Seal RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Oct 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2009 1:21 PM

Do you need to use a 6x9 template?

Ok, so I have a quick question;  I've downloaded a 6x9 template for Word to type my manuscript into, but I was wondering if this is really necessary? Would it be ok to just type my manuscript into a normal-sized Word document? Or would it be better to use the 6x9 template I have?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me!

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
1. Oct 29, 2009 1:26 PM in response to: BlackTiger6593
Re: Do you need to use a 6x9 template?

I know some people who use templates. I, personally, don't use them. I either do the standard size Word document, type my text then when I'm done and ready to format I resize my page so it's the size I need (either 6x9 or usually for me 5.5x8.5), make sure my margins, paragraph spacing, etc all stayed the same and go back through the document to make sure all the pages line up like they should since when he take a standard page size and downsize it will effect your pages so you'll have to fix that.

It may be simpler to just resize your page to 6x9 at the start, that way you won't need to worry about that hassle.

Level 3 500 posts since
Jan 8, 2009
2. Oct 29, 2009 1:30 PM in response to: Sierra
You can just resize your pages to 6 x 9. You don't need a template unless it provides your chapter headings, page numbers, headers, and footers in such a way that they don't shift when you add text. Doing that kind of stuff, you will find, is a pain in the butt. I highly recommend Design Wizard 2.0. Just google it. I'm not a spokesperson for the company or in any way connected but it sure made my interior formatting easier than if I'd done myself.
Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
3. Oct 29, 2009 1:49 PM in response to: BlackTiger6593

My advice just write in whatever format you feel most at ease in. I write in A4 double spaced. This is how I would send it to an agent or publisher as double spacing is easier to read. I then proof read in this size. I then turn it into 6X9 then turn that into a pdf to upload. At this stage I know how many pages my book has so I can start to design or amend if I have already started my cover.I then order a proof. The strange thing is that it is actually cheaper to order a proof than to print off your book on paper to proof read!

Level 5 11,774 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Oct 29, 2009 3:03 PM in response to: BlackTiger6593

If you're in the initial writing stages, then type in whatever page format you feel comfortable with.

If your manuscript is complete and you are now wanting to get it ready for publication, then you need to setup the page as 6x9 (this is where the template will be extremely handy). Otherwise you may experience pagination issues and other formatting anomolies when you go to convert the document to a 6x9 PDF.

Some other good reasons to work in the page format you plan to publish in is that it will give you a good idea how long (page count) your book will be, which is good to know when thinking about pricing and marketing. And when you print out draft pages, you can see exactly how your page will look when published, which can help you make decisions about fonts, point size, leading etc, early on. This will save hours of reformatting later on down the track.

Level 2 223 posts since
Jun 12, 2009
5. Oct 29, 2009 3:54 PM in response to: BlackTiger6593

Hi Blacktiger ..... the world is at your fingertips!     Experiment!        Do internet searches for templates of all sizes and try your copy in them, try the templates at 48 hour books and twist and alter to see what works best for you.  What I did was similar to Hetman, I wrote my books in double-space courier in MS word and then pasted the copy into many formats, 4 X 6, 5 X 8, 6 X9 etc., I finally decided that I liked the 5.5 X 8.5 best so searched and found someone at LULU who shared his template, with margins, mirror, gutter etc., aready defined ..... copy and paste and it's done! (Actually, that's not completeley true, the book formatting seemed to take longer than actually writing the book) ..... formatting is a challenge, but it's fun to do!

Good luck with your project!

http://www.openingdaymedia.net

Level 5 13,343 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
6. Oct 29, 2009 10:26 PM in response to: BlackTiger6593
Figure it out. Can you squeeze 12oz of soda into an 8oz jar? Of course not. Therefore does it stand to reason that you can fit an 8.5x11 manuscript into a 6x9 PDF file? Of course not. Set your page dimensions in Word to 6x9 and type your manuscript in that format. Make sure you mirror your margins and have the appropriate inside margin (set your gutter to ZERO as it is taken care of in the inside margin dimension). When you do your PDF, don't forget to tell your PDF creator that you are using a 6x9 format and not an 8.5x11. Seal

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...