Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
4,744 Views 7 Replies Last post: Apr 30, 2016 6:43 PM by QueenME RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 17, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2016 7:00 PM

Hacking

My book has been stolen by foreign pirates, who are offering it for free as an e-book.

Is it possible to unpublish my book and take it off the market?

I would then like to republish it under a different title and author's name.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Apr 8, 2016 7:10 PM in response to: Lillan
Re: Hacking

I don't know of any way to unpublish a book. What exactly do you mean by this?

Furthermore, were you able to do so, this would render the pirate's version the earliest, and your subsequent republishing of the book under a new name and title would look like plagiarism, with you as the guilty party.

Provide some more details of the book and show us where the pirates are operating and we may be able to offer some valid advice.

Level 4 2,608 posts since
Sep 30, 2014
2. Apr 9, 2016 8:09 AM in response to: Lillan

Have you actually tried to buy one of those supposedly free books? Chances are it is a reseller just trying to get people to go into their book catalog site. The book will not be available for free.

Your book will be sold in many places, by many people, once it becomes available at Amazon. None of these sellers actually stock your book. They merely offer it. If someone orders your book, they fulfill the order, often labeling it as "used." You get your agreed-upon royalty from Amazon.

http://www.gettextbooks.com will show you all the places your book is sold. Just put in your ISBN. Don't be put off by any of this. Consider it free advertising, and if they list your book at a higher price, it just makes your Amazon offer look more attractive.

Temple Emmet Williams

Former editor at the Readers Digest

Level 1 34 posts since
Sep 18, 2012
3. Apr 9, 2016 5:45 AM in response to: Lillan

If your book has actually been pirated, you need to speak with a copyright lawyer immendiately.  You wrote the book?  It's yours, and you need to fight to keep it yours.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
4. Apr 9, 2016 7:01 AM in response to: lilacvalleydoll

lilacvalleydoll wrote:

you need to fight to keep it yours.

Not only is this not necessarily true, it might also be a ruinous waste of good money. Let's get a few more facts first.

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Apr 9, 2016 10:43 AM in response to: Lillan

If you attempt to download your book from the pirate/crack site . . . do not without good protection.  I would recommend ShadowDefender or something like it.  This will restore your computer to the original state when Shadow Defender was enabled: any changes to any protected drive or directory will be discarded.  As a practical matter, this means that as long as it is enabled, you need to have a strategy for saving your work elsewhere.

Walton

Level 4 2,935 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
6. Apr 9, 2016 2:38 PM in response to: lilacvalleydoll

lilacvalleydoll wrote:

If your book has actually been pirated, you need to speak with a copyright lawyer immendiately.

And count on spending plenty of money immendiately [sic], because copyright lawyers ain't cheap.

Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 3, 2014
7. Apr 30, 2016 6:43 PM in response to: Lillan

Don't fear. It is like a Billions of people in the world and everyone has not read it. It is okay. Lets think about it this way. Unpublish all kindles and start again. It could haven't gotten too far. It would have to be someone who knows you or someone who would be interested in hacking you. Is it anyone that has it out for you. No one is handing out free copies that wants to make money. Everyone is looking for money, even kindle. Make sure you are not on the free kindle direct publishing. You need to unpublish from that. This would mean that people may be reading for free; but, kindle is definately getting paid. $9.99 to read on a kindle ready verison for 30 days. 0.16 to the author per book read.  By the way, who else would have access to your computer? I hope everything works out fine for you. I can imagine the scary feeling.

PS They could just be responding off of the 10 page preview. Which could make you think they have read? Check out your preview and see how much kindle put out for the reader to read.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...