Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
9,532 Views 13 Replies Last post: Jun 2, 2016 1:26 AM by Wiccy RSS
Level 1 4 posts since
Aug 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2016 7:42 AM

Do not choose Expanded Distribution

This is NOT a good option for YOU the Author, the person who did all the work, who created the contents and told a story.  You will not make any money this way....let alone get rich!

The resellers have the right to sell your book for less than you are listing it for, then they get 60% of the sale, after Amazon get's the cost to reproduce it and they get the overage from the shipping charge.  You will make the least of everyone involved.

The quality will not be up to par and not by a little bit either.

Simply TURN OFF EXPANDED DISTRIBUTION and tell everyone you know who has trusted Amazon to fairly represent their work to do the same.

You want to think that the Author / Creator is the most important person to Amazon...but, in this case....you are not.

If you want to sell to B & N or legitimate resellers, then fill the orders yourself.  You have the right to purchase copies at cost, just like these other people do. That's all they're doing.  They don't have excess copies of your book, they have the right to either print them on demand or buy them from Amazon at your cost....and print them on demand. 

So you're being undercut all the way around.

CreateSpace Direct is the most dastardly of all of it....how in the world is this supposed to help the Author?

Amazon...get smart and start valuing the Author | Artists or you may find yourself left with a lot of angry resellers with nothing to rip off and sell....

Just sayin'

We need to all smarten up!

Respectfully submitted by:

Connie Horner on behalf of my father Kenneth "Jack" Horner, WWII Veteran whose Memoir has been horribly handled by Amazon CreateSpace and their Expanded Distribution program.  He certainly didn't/doesn't deserve this. Needless to say, we have now turned it OFF.

Level 5 5,223 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. May 25, 2016 8:00 AM in response to: JackHorner
Re: Do not choose Expanded Distribution

JackHorner wrote:

They don't have excess copies of your book, they have the right to either print them on demand or buy them from Amazon at your cost....and print them on demand.

Actually, no. Third-party resellers do not have access to the files. They do not have the right to print copies of your book. If they have a sale, they either order the book through Amazon (at the retail price Amazon is selling it for), or they order it through Ingram, the largest US book distributor, if they have an account with Ingram. Ingram is who US bookstores (like B&N) order books from.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series
Latest Titles:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Les Misérables
Madame Bovary
A Christmas Carol
ABC Short Stories
The Last of the Mohicans
New Fairy Tales for Small Children
The Count of Monte Cristo (Unabridged), Vols. 1–4
Other Works:
Lords of the Housetops: Thirteen Illustrated Cat Tales

Level 4 2,562 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. May 25, 2016 8:41 AM in response to: JackHorner

Hi JH,

I think you may have misunderstood the process.  The same Createspace-contracted printers are used whenever someone orders a book.  The only difference is who places the order.  It's true that the resellers usually don't have physical copies in stock, but then again nether does Amazon.

If a reseller orders a copy of my book from Createspace and then resells it, I don't really care.  I get the same royalty either way.

Stacy

Level 5 12,828 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. May 25, 2016 9:14 AM in response to: JackHorner

Many of us use CreateSpace as a feed to Amazon only, and have never enabled the other sales channels. It's a very common strategy, and the pros and cons have been discussed extensively in this community. So I have no argument whatsoever with the course of action you outlined.

I do have a different opinion regarding Amazon. I have been both a customer and a supplier/vendor since the first year Amazon was in business, and Amazon has always been customer-centric -- customers come first, not authors/artists, and over the years, there have been only a handful of products that provided even major publishers or big name authors/artists with any kind of leverage when dealing with Amazon.

As a small publisher, I need Amazon a lot more than they need me, so I'm grateful for this cost-effective path to reaching such a huge retail market. Further, it's probably the most "fair" retail playing field there is to small suppliers. Our books are displayed and sold on Amazon in the same way as those from major publishers, and appear right along side them in search results and promotional offers.

Level 4 2,638 posts since
Sep 30, 2014
4. May 25, 2016 10:07 AM in response to: JackHorner

Connie:

Memoirs, particularly from unknown people, generate notoriously poor sales, even memoirs that win awards and receive good editorial reviews, as opposed to reader reviews. This is true no matter how well they are written, edited and formatted.

I speak from experience, Connie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRX4WRE

Very few authors, of any genre, make money nowadays. But Memoirs probably earn the least. The existence of the book is your reward. Thank you for writing it.

Temple Emmet Williams

Former editor at the Readers Digest

Level 4 2,525 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
5. May 25, 2016 12:53 PM in response to: templewms

templewms wrote:

Very few authors, of any genre, make money nowadays. But Memoirs probably earn the least.

And poetry is in the running as well. Coloring books, that's what's hot. That's why I'm converting my novels to coloring books.

Sep 30, 2014
6. May 25, 2016 6:01 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Colorful as always. Thanks.

Level 1 38 posts since
Apr 5, 2016
8. May 26, 2016 7:02 AM in response to: JackHorner

I recently created a book with CreateSpace. In my case - If I excluded Expanded Distribution, it had a minimum selling price of $8.94. Offering it for $12.99, I'd get about $2.50 when it's sold on Amazon and $5 something if it's sold in my CreateSpace estore. I can live with that.

If I added Expanded Distribution, the minimum price becomes $13.40. I think that alone could reduce sales. $12.99 sounds better and is closer to what comparable books are selling for. If I did offer it for $13.40 with Expanded Distribution, I would get $0 royalties, and give my book away for free in those sales channels. In order to make anything at all from them, I'd have to hike up the price again by a few dollars.

What I wish is that we could set different prices. I would set it to be sold for $12.99 - if Amazon sold it, I'd get $2.50 and if I sold it, I'd get $5 something. On the other hand, I would set it for $16.00 for Expanded Distribution channels ONLY - if they could sell it at that price, then I'd get $2.50 in royalty. But as it is, you can only set one price. Therefore, I doubt that I would ever select Expanded Distribution.    

Level 4 2,562 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
9. May 26, 2016 7:06 AM in response to: Coey

Hi Coey,

I agree with you - I have often wished I could set different prices for Expanded Distribution.  After all, the proces is different: more hands in the pie, less of a cut for the author.  The alternative:  setting up two books with the same content and selling one only on Amazon and one on Expanded Distribution, seems a little clunky.  I see no reason why we should pick a common list price for Amazon and ED. 

Stacy

Sep 30, 2014
10. May 26, 2016 9:10 AM in response to: JackHorner

The price of books does not suffer from elasticity as much as many Indie authors think. Look at bestseller lists. Most of those books have a “high” price long before they become best sellers.

Most reader research, when ranking reasons for buying a book, place "price" near the bottom of the list, not the top.

The problem remains complex, however, especially with writers who feel trapped by their “Indie” moniker. They seek discovery. They use a low price, or “free” as an incentive. It can work, briefly. But it’s a short-term answer to a long-term “Indie” problem. And, of course, the beneficiaries remain the printers, not the talent.

Temple

Level 1 40 posts since
Apr 4, 2016
11. May 27, 2016 12:55 PM in response to: templewms

My two cents on the issue.

For an earlier (self-published) book, not using CreateSpace, I

used both a distributor (not Ingram, the other one) and also fulfilled some special orders myself.

With your first book, initially, this is exciting and a labor of love.

By the time I reached my second printing, I became quite disillusioned with the distributor (correcting

their accounting errors and so on) and fullfilling special orders, esp. to Europe, was much more of a chore.

So, I fired the distributor, stopped taking special orders, and just relied upon amazon sales.

Life was good.

Now, with a new title at CreateSpace, I have turned on all the channels.

I can see some re-sellers probably attempting to do arbitrage against amazon, but I suspect this

will not develop into a serious issue. If it does, meaning that I start to see an unexpected percentage

of my sales coming via low percentage Expanded Distribution channels, I will revisit my decision.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

The fraud/scanning issue is a completely different topic, IMO, unless there is some direct relation between

that and Expanded Distribution that I haven't grasped.

-alan

Level 5 12,828 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
12. May 27, 2016 2:13 PM in response to: JackHorner

JackHorner wrote:

We understand the list of Re-Sellers in the NEW part of Expanded Distribution; in that they have the right to buy from CreateSpace and print on Demand.  They shouldn't however, be allowed to sell the book at a price lower than the one set by the Author.

In the USA, it is illegal for a publisher, wholesaler, distributor, or other supplier to force retailers to sell books at the suggested list price. Retailers can set any selling price they wish (they can sell a book at a loss if they choose).

With print-on-demand books supplied by members through CreateSpace, the royalty that the author/publisher receives is calculated on the basis of the list price, not the selling price (i.e., if the seller discounts it, it comes out of the seller's profit, not the author's royalty).

Level 0 25 posts since
Feb 14, 2014
13. Jun 2, 2016 1:26 AM in response to: JackHorner

I only make my books available to myself now and I am setting up a website where I can sell my own work and

If I can actually sell any lol I want to donate a percentage of my sales to Max Appeal Charity. I know I will never

be the next J K Rowling, but one never knows lol. My website is wip

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...