Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
11,967 Views 44 Replies Last post: Oct 30, 2017 11:28 PM by Bruce_M. RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 20 posts since
Jan 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2016 5:31 AM

Advertising my paper book on Amazon?

I see how to use Amazon paid advertising for my Kindle books but I have one book, which happens to be my best-seller, which I have made available in print/paper only (it's a music education book, and needs to be in large format).

I can't figure out how to advertise it on Amazon. Is there any way to advertise print books on Amazon?

Thank you.

Level 5 12,942 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Oct 23, 2016 6:58 AM in response to: StuSegal
Re: Advertising my paper book on Amazon?

If you're asking how to list a book on Amazon that you had produced in a regular print run (as opposed to being fed to Amazon via a print-on-demand provider such as CreateSpace or IngramSpark), then one solution is the Amazon Advantage program.

If you're asking how to get started with paid advertising online for your book using Amazon, then there are more programs for this than I can keep up with -- but you can start the Advertising Solutions here.

Level 5 12,942 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Oct 23, 2016 8:07 AM in response to: StuSegal

In general, the unit profit margin for a print-on-demand book isn't high enough to cover the cost of this type of advertising, so they probably didn't expect any POD customers to be interested.

Even when production costs are reduced with a large offset print run, a book has to be selling briskly in order to cover the expenses associated with warehousing it and shipping copies to Amazon fulfillment centers as Amazon places vendor orders. That doesn't leave a lot of meat on the bone to pay for this type of advertising unless the book can also carry a much higher than normal list price. With books, those two criteria (consistently-high sales volume and a higher-than-average list price) don't usually go together.

Level 4 2,638 posts since
Sep 30, 2014
4. Oct 23, 2016 8:21 AM in response to: StuSegal

Find a niche in which your book will sell. Find a magazine or e-magazine that covers that niche. Advertising there might produce the numbers you need for success, but unless you are selling hundreds of books a day, you will have a tough time breaking even. General advertising on Amazon, or even Goodreads, rarely nets big profits. You have to sell too many books just to break even.

Temple

Level 4 2,638 posts since
Sep 30, 2014
7. Oct 23, 2016 10:03 AM in response to: StuSegal

You can do per-click advertising on Goodreads, the great watering hole of readers worldwide, and an Amazon company.

Congratulations on your fabulous sales.

Temple

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 1, 2017
8. Mar 29, 2017 7:12 AM in response to: StuSegal

Hi Stu,

I was just wondering if you found a solution to this problem as i have been googling and can't seem to.  I'm in the same position as i only have createspace versions of my books, they are not suitable for kindle, and would really appreciate any direction you can give as i'd love to advertise via AMS. 

The only other pay per click way i can see to do it is possibly facebook, but that seems alot more time consuming and will cut more into the margin.

Thanks

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 1, 2017
10. Mar 29, 2017 8:33 AM in response to: StuSegal

Thanks Stu.  Very helpful.  I might try and do the same.

Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 30, 2015
11. Mar 29, 2017 3:06 PM in response to: StuSegal

I have five books I published with Create Space and am having little luck selling on Amazon. They are baseball books, primarily about the Red Sox. 'FROM BEER TO BEARDS' is about the Red Sox voyage from worst to first in 2011-3013 and 'BIG PAPI AND THE KIDS' about last year's Red Sox team.  I also have two volumes of 'THE BASEBALL BUFF'S BATHROOM BOOK' a series of 50 articles each about major events and players in baseball history.  Can anyone tell me how I can promote those books on Amazon at a sale price temporarily to try to improve sales?  Any information you might provide about ways to improve sales on Amazon will be greatly appreciated.

Carl Johnson

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 1, 2017
13. Mar 30, 2017 5:26 AM in response to: baseballguy

I basically second everything Stu said.  Seems like AMS ads is the way to go right now but you can't use them if your books are only published via cratespace.  You need a kindle version.  It is frustrating but i think it's worth it for the boost in traffic AMS ads could give you i think, or hope anyway!

All the best.

Level 0 18 posts since
May 16, 2011
14. Apr 9, 2017 9:33 PM in response to: hope2publish

Hmm... this seems more complicated than it ought to be.

I have a coloring book for adults I'd like to advertise, and they're not appropriate for Kindle conversion. I have seen other coloring books show up in searches as sponsored products, so at some point this must have been possible. Any idea if there is a way to work around the "no ads for CreateSpace-only books" issue by offering the books as an Amazon seller? Then the PPC ads would also bring users to the page that has the CreateSpace versions of the book.

Thanks,

David

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...