Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
5,852 Views 6 Replies Last post: Feb 2, 2010 2:28 PM by Ninian RSS
Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2010 11:17 AM

Smashwords vs. CreateSpace? Which should I choose?

Hi...I'm a total newbie, just starting to read all these discussions & figure things out.

I've heard a lot about Smashwords, how it costs nothing & pays authors the highest percentage. Is that true? And what about shipping & distribution down the road? CS sends purchased books out via Amazon, right? Same way Amazon's traditional books get sent?

So what is the downside? Actually I've got TWO books I want to publish: a thriller & a cookbook.

Any help on deciding between these two would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Joyce

P.S. Smashwords is the one that's been getting huge attention on MediaBistro & their GalleyCat newsletters. I'm wondering why.

Level 3 500 posts since
Jan 8, 2009
1. Feb 2, 2010 11:24 AM in response to: foxglove1
Re: Smashwords vs. CreateSpace? Which should I choose?

Smashwords on does E-books (kindle, sony e-readers) and Createspace does print books (hardcover, paperback). Ideally, you may want to use both but understand that there is a big difference.

Level 3 660 posts since
Jul 14, 2008
2. Feb 2, 2010 11:31 AM in response to: foxglove1

Choose both. Many do.

Smashwords is for eBooks in a variety of formats (similar to the Kindle format, and includes a Kindle friendly format as well as formats for other ereaders) but not for printed books. And yes, the revenue split is quite attractive (and until the middle of the year, it will be more favourable than Kindle revenue split and when the Kindle revenue split changes, Smashwords revenue split will still be slightly higher).  Smashwords also distributes ebooks to Barnes & Noble, Sony eReader, Kobo and Amazon for the Kindle format.

CreateSpace only does print paperbacks and not ebooks (not even Kindle, which you have to do separately). You can choose availability on Amazon and, if you enrol in the Expanded Distribution Channel, you can have your printed books available at other online retailers such as Barnes & Noble as well as to libraries (if you use a CS ISBN).

However, even once you have your books available, you'll still need to market your book.

Level 4 4,457 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
3. Feb 2, 2010 2:06 PM in response to: BelindaD

Very interesting.

So, if I wanted to show my book (published through CS) on somwhere like smash-words, I'd need to change the copyright page. Right?

Currently, the copyright pages says:

"All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted in any for or by any means (electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the publisher.

The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the Internet or by any other means without the permission of the author is illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized printed or electronic editions and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated."

As I understand it, e-books are downloaded. Right?

What wording would you suggest for the copyright page?

Feb 1, 2008
4. Feb 2, 2010 2:07 PM in response to: Ninian

I've tried twice to insert hard returns between lines of text but cannot do it. Apologies for having it appear as one paragraph.

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
5. Feb 2, 2010 2:24 PM in response to: Ninian

There is a formatting guide on Smashwords that helps to format properly and it has an example of the copyright page that you should use on there. I can't recall the name of it off hand but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Feb 1, 2008
6. Feb 2, 2010 2:28 PM in response to: Sierra

Thanks Sierra. I'll take a look.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...